April showers sometimes bring more than May flowers. Many times spring storms can bring along with them power outages, flooding, and fires. Before you find yourself in dire straights, it is best to be prepared! SEI Security has the tools you need to get ready for spring storms and all that comes with them.
We have all been there before: the emergency alerts blast across the TV screen and the sirens go off beckoning you to take shelter in your basement. You scramble to gather supplies in case you are stuck in the lower level for an extended period of time. Before you find yourself in a precarious situation, it is a good idea to ensure that you are fully prepared. Below is a checklist that will help you to be prepared to withstand the spring Midwest storms.
- Remote Chargers: Don’t get caught with low cell phone batteries! You can purchase remote phone chargers and store them in your basement to ensure you are able to keep mobile devices charged up in case the power goes out in a storm.
- Backup Battery: If you do lose power at any point in time, know that your home security system will still keep you safe and protected. All of our home security systems are installed with a battery backup that will last anywhere from 2-6 hours and up to 24 hours with an extended battery.
- Lighting: Some basements do not have appropriate lighting, or if the power goes out you may need to provide your own light sources. You will want to stock up on lanterns, flashlights, and other alternate light sources. Candles are discouraged as they can be a fire hazard, but in a pinch they could be appropriate. Make sure you have a lighter or matches handy if this is your only option.
- Kids Activities: Weathering severe weather with bored children can be stressful and frustrating. Plan ahead to ensure your kids are distracted from the scary storm by making sure to stock your designated storm shelter with board games, crayons and paper, puzzles, playdough, etc.
- Storm Radio: One of the main reasons why you need a weather radio in your home is to keep you informed in the event that the power goes out. It is easy to wipe the battery of our phones and tablets during a power outage, but that is when we need to receive updated information on the ongoing situation developing outside. Weather radios typically run on batteries or some even have solar panels and a hand crank on them, too. Whichever model you prefer, make sure a weather radio and spare batteries are always in your weather emergency kit.
Does your family know where to go when the tornado sirens go off? What about if a fire breaks out due to downed power lines? What happens with the pets? It is good to put a plan in place now and practice with your kids so they know what to do. Set a rally point for everyone to gather outside if necessary so that everyone can be accounted for.
Power outages and fires caused by power lines can be prevented by the maintenance of tree branches. You will want to trim branches away from the house so they won’t damage the siding, windows or roof, as well as power, cable and telephone lines. It may seem like a small action but it can make a big difference.
Go through your house now and check that all your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and have ample battery power. SEI’s monitored fire and smoke detectors are ALWAYS ON, ensuring first responders are quickly alerted, critical for your families safety and limiting property loss from fire, smoke or water damage.
Contact Us to Prepare for Spring Storms
Prepare your home to weather spring storms today by knowing all the options SEi provides. Contact SEI Security today to discuss how we can ensure you have all the tools you need.
When it comes to home safety, few things are as crucial as a reliable fire alarm system. But did you know that you can enhance your fire safety measures by integrating your fire alarm system with home automation? This powerful combination can make a significant...
In today's fast-paced world, time is a precious commodity. Home automation offers a range of solutions to help simplify your daily routine and make your life more efficient. From managing household tasks to enhancing security, the benefits of home automation are...
It’s summer! School is out and it is time for kids to have fun and make memories. From pool time, vacations, playing with friends & neighbors, and just being able to have some fun and use their imaginations. I don’t know about you – but some of my fondest...
As the weather warms up and the flowers start to bloom, it's a good time to think about doing some spring cleaning your home with safety in mind. While you go about decluttering your living space and refreshing your wardrobe for the new season – you will want to keep...