Did you know that home burglaries peak during summer months? Unfortunately, while most of us our planning summer fun and trips out of towns, burglars are looking for empty homes to target.
According to the FBI, crime rates rise approximately 10% during June, July and August. When the weather heats up, people generally spend less time in their homes and more time outside, away from their homes, and out of town.
Summer should be a fun time to relax and enjoy the weather, not worrying about potential threats to your home, and Security Equipment Inc. wants you to know that we’re here to help. We have some quick tips you can use to deter burglaries to your home while on vacation.
- Make sure the house is locked up before you go. It may seem obvious, but you’d be surprised how many forget to lock their windows before leaving. For an added element of security, SEi offers glass break sensors for those who may not care your home is locked.
- Stay off of social media. Wait until after your return to post your vacation photos! Letting the online world know you’re out of town is a great way to alert burglars that your home will be vacant.
- Mow your lawn right before you leave. If you’re gone for longer than a week, you may want to hire someone to mow while you’re away. An unkempt lawn is a good sign no one has been home in a while.
- Make it look like you’re home. Leaving a car in the driveway and some lights on inside can be a great way to deter burglars from targeting your home. With SEi’s home automation, you can turn lights on and off from anywhere using your mobile device. You can also set schedules so your lights turn on at a specific time, making sure you don’t have to worry about your home when you are away.
- Invest in a video doorbell. These doorbells come equipped with motion sensors and video surveillance, so you always know who’s at your door, even when you’re not at home. The HD motion sensors will alert you when motion is captured, say by an unwanted visitor, or when someone presses your doorbell. The video doorbell records each video and sends it to your phone so you can watch or download to view at a later time.
- Pause your mail. Having your mail stack up outside your home lets others know you’re not home to pick it up. Put a stop order or vacation hold on them and pick it up when you get home.
- Have a friend or neighbor keep an eye on your home. They can check on your house when you’re gone. They could pick up mail if you don’t want it paused, bring out your trash on trash day and open or close blinds so it looks like someone’s home.
- Consider adding a home security system. It’s the best way to keep your home safe while you are on vacation. With video surveillance and home automation, you won’t fret over leaving home for a few days. You house is at the touch of your fingertips via our inTouch app, meaning you can check on cameras, lock or unlock doors, turn the temperature up or down and so much more. You can even set up text alerts so you get notified anytime the alarm or doors are accessed.
Start Customizing Your Own Home Security System Today!
The sense of security and peace of mind you gain with an alarm system is perhaps the greatest benefit of all. You can relax and feel comfortable knowing your home, your loved ones and your possessions are being secured. See how SEi can protect your home from intruders by contacting us for a free demonstration.