Preventing Credit Card Fraud
As technology advances so do our credit cards. That doesn’t mean you are safe. Hackers and fraudulent websites have progressed with us. Within this blog you can find a few ways to make sure that you are purchasing things from a secure store and safe websites.
Do’s and Don’ts on what you carry in your wallet
- Carry your social security card or number in your wallet.
- Carry your Medicare card as the owner’s social security number is printed on the card.
- Carry any notes or cards that reveal personal PINs or passwords to confidential information.
- If you aren’t traveling leave your passport at home.
- If you don’t plan on using your checkbook; leave it at home as it reveals your bank information
- Always be sure to keep any membership cards within your wallet.
- Carry your credit card for emergencies; be sure to only carry the credit cards you are going to be using (leave the rest at home in a safe place).
- Not everywhere accepts plastic; be sure to always have some cash on you.
- This may sound like common sense but never leave the house without your driver’s license.
- If you have a new card with a chip in it, you should question the stores that do not have a chip reader for the new cards.
- Get a RFID protection wallet. This ensures that people cannot take your credit card number from you in public places.
How to know if a website is secure to shop on?
- Check the web address for https instead of http (the S stands for a secure sight).
- Check for a padlock icon on the screen; it is usually located on the bottom left hand side of the screen.
- Online scams happen all the time. The rule we suggest you to use is if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Don’t click on pop-up ads. These are fraudulent sites and may fool you for looking similar to the real one.
- Do they have a return policy? If they do this is a good sign that it is a safe place to shop
- Look for other customer reviews and comments within the webpage to verify it’s trustworthy and a real site.
- Make sure the site has a physical location and a phone number where you may contact them.
Follow these tips to keep your banking information safe.
10500 Hickman Road
Des Moines, IA 50325
535 Southgate Ave Unit B
Iowa City, IA 52240
1225 Swift Avenue
North Kansas City, MO 64116
8200 Cody Drive, Suite I
Lincoln, NE 68512
2238 South 156 Circle
Omaha, NE 68130