Who else is ready for a summer vacation? Your flight is booked, reservations are made, and bags are packed, but what did you do to protect your home while you are away?
Summer should be a fun time to relax and enjoy the weather, not worrying about potential threats to your home, and Security Equipment Inc. wants you to know that we are here to help.
Not Worried About Protecting Your Home? Think Again!
Did you know that home burglaries peak during the summer months? Unfortunately, while most of us are planning summer fun and trips out of towns, burglars are looking for empty homes to target.
According to the FBI, crime rates rise approximately 10% during June, July, and August. When the weather heats up, people generally spend less time in their homes and more time outside, away from their homes, and out of town.
Summer Travel Tips from SEi
- Make sure the house is locked up before you go. It may seem obvious, but you would be surprised how many forget to lock their windows before leaving. For an added element of security, SEi offers glass break sensors for those who may not care your home is locked.
- Stay off of social media. Wait until after your return to post your vacation photos! Letting the online world know you are out of town is a great way to alert burglars that your home will be vacant.
- Mow your lawn right before you leave. If you are gone for longer than a week, you may want to hire someone to mow while you are away. An unkempt lawn is a good sign no one has been home in a while.
- Make it look like you are home. Leaving a car in the driveway and some lights on inside can be a great way to deter burglars from targeting your home. With SEi’s home automation, you can turn lights on and off from anywhere using your mobile device. You can also set schedules, so your lights turn on at a specific time, making sure you don’t have to worry about your home when you are away.
- Invest in a video doorbell. These doorbells come equipped with motion sensors and video surveillance, so you always know who is at your door, even when you’re not at home. The HD motion sensors will alert you when motion is captured, say by an unwanted visitor, or when someone presses your doorbell. The video doorbell records each video and sends it to your phone so you can watch or download it to view at a later time.
- Pause your mail. Having your mail stack up outside your home lets others know you are not home to pick it up. Put a stop order or vacation hold on them and pick it up when you get home.
- Protect your home from water damage. Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean your pipes can’t still burst! In addition, leaks and flash flooding are also a threat to your home while you are away. Consider adding water sensors to areas like your basement or under your dishwasher for protection against water damage.
- Have a friend or neighbor keep an eye on your home. They can check on your house when you are gone. They could pick up mail if you do not want it paused, bring out your trash on trash day and open or close blinds so it looks like someone’s home.
- Use a monitoring service for smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Most smoke and CO detectors are only beneficial when someone is inside the house. With monitored detectors from SEi, our local monitoring station is notified if a fire or gas leak is detected in your home and dispatches emergency responders on your behalf. This can be extremely beneficial to those with pets staying at home while out of town.
- Consider adding a home security system. It’s the best way to keep your home safe while you are on vacation. With video surveillance and home automation, you won’t fret over leaving home for a few days. Your house is at the touch of your fingertips via our inTouch app, meaning you can check on cameras, lock or unlock doors, turn the temperature up or down and so much more. You can even set up text alerts, so you get notified anytime the alarm or doors are accessed.
START CUSTOMIZING YOUR OWN HOME SECURITY SYSTEM TODAY!
The sense of security and peace of mind you gain with an alarm system is perhaps the greatest benefit of all. You can relax and feel comfortable knowing your home, your loved ones, and your possessions are being secured.
See how SEi can protect your home from intruders by contacting us today!