How To Prevent Frozen Pipes
Keep the Winter Wonderland in your backyard not your basement!
As we know it’s getting closer to holiday season, which is also a sign of changing seasons. Winter brings brutal temperatures our way and you need to make sure that your house is protected . Mother Nature and her low temperatures are able to cause destruction in your home in a short amount of time. We have a few tips on how to prevent frozen pipes and make it through the winter without damage to your home and belongings.
Here are a few tips to prevent your pipes from freezing:
- Pipes can start to burst at 20 degrees Fahrenheit
- Insulate all water pipes from cold moving air
- Heat pipes: consider wrapping your pipes with UL approved heat tape
- Make sure to shut off and drain your sprinkler system, blowing compressed air through the system
- Make sure to keep your garage door closed during harsh winter weather
- Make sure to disconnect all hoses from outside faucets
- If you are headed out of town and are concerned about freezing pipes, let a faucet drip slowly. This will keep water moving through your pipes!
What to do next:
After doing what you can to prevent your pipes from freezing the best way to protect you home and your valuables from water damage is to contact us and install temperature monitoring devices in high risk areas. These are sensors that will notify our UL Listed Central Station so we can notify you as soon as an issue occurs.
Frozen pipes lead to the largest amount of property damage destruction during the winter months.
Cut the cost before it happens:
- The average cost of damage a frozen pipe that busts is over $5,000.
- Pipe insulation can cost as little as .50 cents per line.
- Adding temperature monitoring to your security solution to protect your property, priceless.
Going on a trip to leave the cold weather behind?
Be sure to never turn the heat too low. Although you think you are saving money; if an accident occurs you will spend more money in the property damages and in the headaches that come with the disaster than what you will ever have saved with turning the thermostat down. The best way to manage your home is to contact a security consultant today and inquiry about installing a ZWave thermostat & light module. Controlling your thermostat and lights in your home is now in the palm of your hand wherever you are with the use of our inTouch app.
Don’t waste another minute stressing about the property damage that could be. Winter is right around the corner and so are we. Call us today (1-800-334-3272) to talk to an experienced security consultant about winterizing your home today.
10500 Hickman Road
Des Moines, IA 50325
535 Southgate Ave Unit B
Iowa City, IA 52240
1225 Swift Avenue
North Kansas City, MO 64116
8200 Cody Drive, Suite I
Lincoln, NE 68512
2238 South 156 Circle
Omaha, NE 68130